7.08.2008

The Tiny Choice About Work Garbage

The ladies over at Tiny Choices have inspired me …

My most recent TC: not using the garbage can in my cube at work (provided by the building management/cleaning company).

Why you ask?

Because even if there is just one little piece of garbage in that bin, the entire thing gets emptied … including the thin plastic bag. So, for example, if I put my daily granola bar wrapper in there and nothing more – the whole thing gets emptied at the end of the day! And, I get a a brand new plastic bag. I just can’t justify that! I've politely asked the cleaning staff if they must empty a can that isn't full or smelly - and they just kinda stare at me. Now, OK, I do understand that this is garbage and I do have the luxury of someone else picking up that bag and emptying it ... but come on! It's not like I have cans of tuna in there!!

So, now I collect my tiny amount of garbage in a coffee mug and dump it in the large kitchen garbage bin at the end of the day. That garbage can fills up and is emptied daily so I don’t feel bad.

Now, if I only I could figure out how to create no waste while here … one of these days I'll get there.

No comments: